Recent Updates

What to do if you’re injured on the job

In Oklahoma, most employers* with five or more employees are required to carry worker’s compensation insurance. Worker’s comp insurance covers all job-related injuries and job-related illnesses that happen during the course of employment. 

Do I have to report my injury? 

YES! You must report or file an accident report with your supervisor and seek medical treatment – the sooner you do, the better your chances at receiving benefits. Prompt medical treatment should be provided by your employer. Filing an accident report protects you if you don’t experience symptoms until weeks or even months after the accident. If you don’t report your injury, it may keep you from getting the benefits you deserve.

Do I have to pay for my medical costs?

You should not have to pay for any medical costs. Your employer or insurance company must pay for all authorized and medically necessary care to treat your work-related injury.

Do I have to file a workers’ compensation claim?

NO. It’s your employer’s responsibility to file the initial claim. Follow-up to make sure the claim was filed and contact a workers’ comp attorney.

Do I need an attorney?

YES. Your employer and insurance carrier have their own attorneys. You should have one too. 

When should I hire an attorney?

You should hire a workers’ compensation attorney if:

  • you are injured on the job;
  • you have difficulty getting the medical treatment needed;
  • your ability to work is affected;
  • your employer or insurance company disputes your claim;
  • you have a pre-existing condition; or
  • you have a workers’ compensation hearing.

How much does a worker’s comp lawyer cost?

At the Bell Law Firm, our initial consultations are always FREE and we advance all expenses related to litigate your claim. If we don’t win, we don’t get a penny. 

*Oklahoma Workers’ Compensation law does have exceptions to coverage for job-related injuries for certain types of small businesses, industries and agencies . Click to view exemptions here.